Energy saving windows
(Window Energy Ratings)
Window Energy Ratings use a consumer-friendly traffic-light style A-E ratings guide similar to that uses on ‘white’ goods (such as fridges, freezers, washing machines etc.). This ratings label can be used by you to make more informed choices about energy efficiency of the windows you are looking to purchase.
So Exactly what are Energy Saving Windows?They are windows that help to contain and conserve within the home keeping out wind and rain, resisting condensation and yet allowing natural “free” energy – the warmth of the sun – to heat the home. They can be made using any frame material – aluminium, PVC-U, steel or timber or even a combination of materials.
Each window is rated by the BFRC and has a unique label.
This label will display the following information:
- The rating level – A, B, C, etc
- The energy rating eg. -3kWh/(m².K) in this example the product will lose 3 kilowatt hours per square metre per year.
- The window U value eg. 1.4W/(m².K)
- The effective heat loss due to air penetration as L eg. 0.01 W/(m².K)
- The solar heat gain eg. g=0.43
Simply put this will determine how well a product will perform the function of:
- Helping you contain and conserve heat within your building in the winter
- Keeping out the wind
- Resisting condensation
- Contribute to improved sound insulation
Energy Efficient Windows are easy to recognise – simply look for the BFRC Label.
Who are the BFRCThe BFRC Scheme is the UK’s national system for rating the energy efficiency within the Building Regualtions as a method to show compliance for your replacement windows installation.
About the Energy Saving Trust Logo
The Energy Saving Trust developed the logo “Energy Saving Recommended” in order to distinguish the most energy efficient products. The A* ratings achieved by our windows helps support the scheme allowing customers to make informed decisions when purchasing winodws for their home.
We supply A rated and C rated windows the choice is yours.